NETGEAR Launches New Router With Unique Features For Macs, Enhanced Capabilities and Performance for all Users
The NETGEAR Wireless Extreme Offers First True Home Networking Solution for Large Number of Households That Use Both Macs and PCs
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Dec. 12, 2011 — NETGEAR®, Inc. (NASDAQGM: NTGR),a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers, today announced worldwide availability of the NETGEAR Wireless Extreme for Mac and PC (WNDRMAC). The Wireless Extreme is the company’s first home router to offer Mac-specific capabilities – including native support for Apple’s Time Machine® back-up software and Bonjour® automated networking technology – in addition to the speed, range and premium features found in NETGEAR’s latest consumer routers.
A large number of NETGEAR’s consumer customer base use both Macs and PCs, in addition to iPhones, iPads and other devices, on their home networks. The Wireless Extreme is designed from the ground up to offer a best-of-all-worlds solution. It includes the advanced features found in NETGEAR’s award-winning family of routers – parental controls, DLNA compatible media streaming, a broadband usage meter and simultaneous dual-band wireless performance. In addition, the Wireless Extreme also features NETGEAR’s Genie, which is a dashboard-style application that provides easy and complete router and network management, CD-less installation and support for Mac-specific technology, such as Time Machine and Bonjour.
A key benefit of the Wireless Extreme is that it can be installed and set-up without a CD via a simple and intuitive interface from Android Smartphones, iPhones, iPads or any PC or MAC computer. For Mac users, NETGEAR’s ReadySHARE® technology enables the Wireless Extreme to double as a fully functional Time Machine backup device with an attached USB external hard drive. The new router also supports Apple’s Bonjour automated networking technology, which allows Macs, PCs and other Bonjour compatible devices to find each other on a home network and share USB printers.
The Wireless Extreme also features Dual-band wireless N networking (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and an advanced 680 Mhz processor to support state-of-the-art HD media streaming, multiplayer online gaming and simultaneous downloads. The router is DLNA certified for streaming media to DLNA-compatible high-definition televisions, Blu-ray™ players and game consoles.
Other advanced features of the Wireless Extreme include:
- ReadySHARE® Printer. The Wireless Extreme makes it easy to turn any existing USB printer into a fully functional networked printer that is fully compatible with Macs, PCs and a growing number of mobile platforms.
- NETGEAR Genie. This free utility for PCs and Macs allows home users to control, monitor, repair and manage their home networks easily through a simple and elegant dashboard. NETGEAR customers can download the utility at http://www.netgear.com/genie). The Mac version is available as a public beta.
- Guest network access. The Wireless Extreme’s browser interface and the NETGEAR Genie utility make setting up a guest network simple and easy. Visitors can go online freely without the need for your secure login information. The guest network also prevents users from seeing and accessing your computers, printers, storage drives and other home-network devices.
- DLNA. A USB hard drive plugged into the router becomes a powerful DLNA media server for sharing any entertainment content stored on the drive – including video, music and photos – to DLNA-certified, Internet-ready consumer electronic devices, including televisions, Blu-ray™ players and game consoles.
- Advanced Quality of Service. By prioritizing video streams over other home network traffic, advanced Quality of Service (QoS) provides the best possible viewing experience for online video.
- Gigabit wired Ethernet. The Wireless Extreme comes with four high-speed gigabit Ethernet ports for ultra-fast wired connections.
- Leading Security. The router supports WPA and WPA2 protocols for WiFi, has double firewall (SPI and NAT) protection against Internet threats, and provides Denial of Service (DoS) attack prevention.
- Broadband usage meter. This tool enables users to monitor their Internet data consumption and can send customized alerts when usage is close to monthly bandwidth limits, avoiding costly overage fees for those with metered service plans.
- NETGEAR Live Parental Controls. This centralized, flexible and reliable parental control solution for all the devices on the network, including Macs, Windows PCs, smartphones and tablets, provides a safe online environment for children and teenagers –no subscription required.
- Automatic WiFi security. The Wireless Extreme comes with wireless security turned on out-of-the-box with a pre-configured network name and password so home WiFi networks are protected by default.
“Consumers live in a multiplatform world of Macs, PCs, iPads, iPhones, smartphones, and tablets. NETGEAR’s new Wireless Extreme combines the best of all of these worlds in a single, powerful networking product that also adds Mac-specific features previously available only in Apple’s networking products,” said Som Pal Choudhury, NETGEAR director of product marketing. “For the first time, Mac users can purchase a high performance router with NETGEAR’s advanced technology features, while PC users can deploy a home network that makes it easy to integrate Macs and enjoy all of their unique network capabilities.”
Pricing and Availability
The NETGEAR Wireless Extreme for Mac and PC (WNDRMAC) is available now in the United States from $129.99, and worldwide from major retailers in stores and online.
NETGEAR Holiday Gift Guide
For great holiday gift ideas, check out NETGEAR’s online Holiday Gift Guide at http://www.netgear.com/holiday . The Gift Guide has you covered with the latest gear to solve all of your holiday gift-giving challenges. The guide allows you to purchase NETGEAR products from your favorite retailer, or drag/drop products to create a custom "Buy the Bundle" order. You can also give your friends a hint about what you would like by building your own wishlist and sharing it.
To learn more about the NETGEAR Wireless Extreme for Mac and PC, please visit http://www.netgear.com/wndrmac .
About NETGEAR, Inc.
NETGEAR (NASDAQGM: NTGR) is a global networking company that delivers innovative products to consumers, businesses and service providers. For consumers, the company makes high performance, dependable and easy to use home networking, storage and digital media products to connect people with the Internet and their content and devices. For businesses, NETGEAR provides networking, storage and security solutions without the cost and complexity of big IT. The company also supplies top service providers with retail proven, whole home solutions for their customers. NETGEAR products are built on a variety of proven technologies such as wireless, Ethernet and Powerline, with a focus on reliability and ease-of-use. NETGEAR products are sold in approximately 28,000 retail locations around the globe, and through more than 37,000 value-added resellers. The company's headquarters are in San Jose, Calif., with additional offices in 25 countries. More information is available at http://www.NETGEAR.com or by calling (408) 907-8000. Connect with NETGEAR athttp://twitter.com/NETGEAR and http://www.facebook.com/NETGEAR.
© 2011 NETGEAR, Inc. NETGEAR, the NETGEAR logo and NeoTV are trademarks or registered trademarks of NETGEAR, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Apple, Bonjour, iPad, iPhone, Mac and Time Machine are trademarks of Apple, Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Other brand and product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. Information is subject to change without notice. All rights reserved.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 for NETGEAR, Inc.:
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Specifically, statements concerning NETGEAR's business and the expected performance characteristics, specifications, reliability, market acceptance, market growth, specific uses, user feedback and market position of NETGEAR's products and technology are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. These statements are based on management's current expectations and are subject to certain risks and uncertainties, including, without limitation, the following: the actual price, performance and ease of use of NETGEAR's products may not meet the price, performance and ease of use requirements of customers; product performance may be adversely affected by real world operating conditions; failure of products may under certain circumstances cause permanent loss of end user data; new viruses or Internet threats may develop that challenge the effectiveness of security features in NETGEAR's products; the ability of NETGEAR to market and sell its products and technology; the impact and pricing of competing products; and the introduction of alternative technological solutions. Further information on potential risk factors that could affect NETGEAR and its business are detailed in the Company's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Part II - Item 1A. Risk Factors," pages 48 through 67, in the Company's quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended October 2, 2011, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on November 8, 2011. NETGEAR undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements contained herein to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
U.S. Media Contact:
Jeff Norris, Weber Shandwick for NETGEAR
U.S. Sales Inquiries: (408) 907-8000, firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. Customer Inquiries: (888) NETGEAR (end)